Not the Soap!!!
- “You need a shower every day.”
- “You need to wash your hair with shampoo every time you get in the shower.”
- “You need to wash your body with soap every time you get in the shower.”
- “You need to wear deodorant every time you get out of the shower.”
- “You need to brush your teeth with toothpaste.”
These are the statements I make during the well visits of every boy in my practice between the ages of 8 and 14. These seem to be the critical ages when boys are starting to get the “man stink” and have not yet developed the ability to either smell it or care about it. I have learned these simple truths from experience in my own home.
The other morning for example, Joe came into the bathroom unshowered and put on deoderant (poorly). When I told him to jump in the shower and get clean before applying the stuff, he responded:
“Daddy said I don’t have to because I don’t really smell that bad.“
UGG – I’m fighting an uphill battle here with all these boys in the house! At least I know one child will always smell good as Arabella feels compelled to bath and lotion and spritz and lather every chance she gets 🙂 .